I baked this in a 8-inch tart pan with excess dough and custard, so it will probably fit nicely in a 9-inch pan.
For sweet tart pastry, see this post
1 egg yolk
6 large eggs at room temperature
zest 1 orange
zest of 2 limes
120ml heavy cream
1 mango to decorate
- Make sweet tart pastry. Brush tart with egg yolk after ~10-15mins of baking and continue baking for 5mins. Leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 140C/275F.
- Break eggs into bowl. Add orange and lime zest. Add sugar and mix well.
- Cut and puree mango. Sieve puree to remove fibers. Add puree to the egg mixture.
- Add cream and mix well.
- Set bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir constantly until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. The mixture should still be liquid enough to be pourable.
- Pour mixture into tart shell.
- Baked for 50-55 minutes until custard has set. Leave to cool and decorate with sliced mangoes.
- Note: I’ve found that letting excess pastry drape over the tart tin and then cutting it off after baking is a good way to ensure that the tart shell has enough and even height.
Adapted and inspired by Luis’ The Tropical Manchester Tart in The Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking.